Sunday, October 12, 2008

breakthrough

so yesterday i finally got somewhere with my short story "ambrosia" and i was so excited so i'm posting what i have so far. i will probably hate it soon after, but i want to know what you think of it so far and how it makes you feel, predictions etc.

ambrosia
The sky was a hushed tone of purple blue and we owned it. The two of us, licking the frosting off our triple chocolate cupcakes, hair sprawled across the green lawn. Me, full of questions of the future, wanting to escape college applications and a dreary waitress job. Clair, full of unbelievable wonder, with nothing to escape from. I envied, her effortless, simple existence. So that night, I asked her.

"What's your secret?"

Her eyes glowed for a moment, like they only did for Clair and then she laughed.

" My secret? My secret for what? My beautiful garden?"

She stroked the shy petals of some ravishing flowers that encircled us.

" I just get good help. You know I'm a hopeless gardener." She smacked her lips.

" No, Clair. That's not what I'm talking about," I said, sitting up.

" I mean you. The secret to you. You have so much energy, always going out and planning things... cupcakes under the stars...like you have nothing going on. But you're alone. I know it."

Clair tossed her amber hair over shoulder like a lion's mane.

" What do you want, Andrea? Are you trying to ruin a Friday night?"

I looked down.

"I just want to know why this house is always empty."

She leaned forward.

" This house has been empty for fifty years and always will be," she whispered. " I like it that way."

The cupcake in my mouth suddenly tasted like dirt.

1 comment:

Hieyam A. said...

uh oh ... oh dang.... watch out! lol i loved it nesima its like poetry in a story... as should colabo one day.. and i kno sammys gunna laugh at me for saying colabo but I DONT CARE