Monday, August 31, 2009

chasing pages


- William Moulton Marston
pic copyright pareeerica @ flickr

I am the ultimate flip-flopper. Not in my politics, but in my writing projects.
Remember how I said I had an epiphany to write my Amirah Hassen novel as a part of a short story collection in order to be able to address all the different voices I wanted?
Well last night, I just HAD to come up with an incredible outline for the novel, with tons of great characters and subplots and themes....what's wrong with me?

I guess I don't have to choose between the two. I can still write a short story collection AND a novel. It's just going to take more time to finish either. Especially because I'm juggling my Zac Daniels story (psst:check out the other blog!) It's just so hard trying to figure which form is going to allow me to express myself better, which one is going to describe and entertain and connect more- the delicate short story or the grandiose, epic novel.

But I think with all the time I have between classes and in the mornings, it's good to have some kind of creative outlet depending on the mood I'm in. Or early in the morning like 4:30 am. Whatever:) Some writers say you have to stop thinking about writing as this oh so lovey, wonderful process and treat like work. Hard, frustrating, tearful work. I think the mentality of it is right, approaching it with punctuality and dedication. But if it's work, I'm not going to do it. I have enough of that for me already. I guess the emotions of love and hate are so intertwined, it's almost the same. I love writing and hate it. But the thought of finishing, of hearing my characters talk in my head when I'm walking to class or sitting in my room makes me want to keep going.

I feel bad for my roommate when I wake up and start typing away on my laptop. But I am not the kind of person who can remembers thoughts from the night before. I also cannot do that put a journal by your nightstand and write it down. I tried it and in the morning I read chicken scratch and loopy signatures. I guess turning on the light would help too....

I really want to have a decent amount of writing to show the writing club I'm joining (or hope to join. It better not be some exclusive club for english/creative writing majors grrrr.)

Now I honestly have something to look forward to after class. Having an awesome story to work on is like having a puppy or kitty waiting at home for you lol. Lame, but true. Unless that story starts acting up and making a mess and it won't leave me alone with all its problems.
Then I'll have to put it outside for awhile, let it feel lonely and sad and then come back in when it's ready to behave again.

No comments: